I Should Write a Blog

I've been posting to Facebook with some frequency the past few weeks, my latest post drew a casual comment about "thanks for the blog" and then my daughter chimed in with a "you should write a blog."

This is my first attempt, playing with the google blogger tools to see what I see. This is very much a work in progress, well really more of an experiment, to see what I shall see.

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Dead Dryer with Troubleshooting Guide INSIDE

We're getting set to move in a couple of weeks and our Dryer decides it's a good time to quit.  After all, we only have tons of things wanting washed as we prepare.  Never fear, I place a call to my fav appliance repair man and leave him a message.  He calls back, from Wyoming, where he's on vacation.  That's not going to work, so I opt to try some DIY, hoping I'm physically up for the challenge (still working on recovery to pre-crisis level).



After some reading on the net, I took my nut driver to the critter and went straight for the high temp fuse, that seemed to be the most likely culprit.  After a bunch of removed screws and an awful lot of "up/downs" I got the fuse and then discovered that my multimeter isn't in its box or anywhere else useful, so off to Sears Hardware, for a meter.  I also learned that Sears doesn't stock spare parts for their Kenmore appliances, but I could order them online.  Not so helpful.

After applying meter to fuse, I learned it was good, which was rather disappointing.   So, something else was wrong, we started taking all the removable panels off and discovered a handy little guide to the dryer neatly packaged and secured to the machine's side panel.  The INSIDE of the side panel, somewhere a consumer would only see if they were, like me, just taking things apart in hope of inspiration.  Following my guide, step 2 isolated the problem as a bad heating element.  A trip to an actual appliance parts store some more turning of screws and I was all done.

Oh, I forgot to mention, we cleaned the duct, which in our case is over 16 feet long and full of bends and lint and lint and more lint.  We used a "LintEater Dryer Vent Cleaning System" from Lowes (~$45) which made the job amazingly easy.   The thing has glowing reviews on Amazon, which turn out to be well deserved.

Once again, our dryer is working, and I am sooooo sore.  That was a lot of work!  I am looking forward to getting stronger, that wouldn't normally wipe me out.


No comments:

Post a Comment